Sunday, February 4, 2007

New Years Resolutions Update

In case you don't remember my resolutions were ...

1) Limit my time on the 407etr. The Price is going up and i want to make sure that i don't take the 407 more than twice a week. This should keep my bill under $50 per month. Which is reasonable in my opinion.

2) Go to the gym 4 times per week. Since there is a gym right by my work and since i don't want to get on the 401 at 5pm. This is a reasonable goal.

3) Keep blogging on a regular basis. My goal is to have a new blog addition at least once per week. So far i think that is about as often as i update. If i can keep up that pace i will be happy.

4) Manage money better. I don't think that i have been terribly irresponsible in the past but I do think there is room for improvement. I plan to buy quicken and keep track of all my spending. I would also like to increase the amount of money i put into rrsps.


Staying off the 407etr.
For the most part i have kept this up. However, my hand was forced a few times. What i mean is that two weeks ago i had a doctors appointment in the morning. In order to get to work by ten I had to hop on the 407 to make up the time. There was also a snow storm. I tried to take the 401 during a snow storm and ended up getting to work over an hour late even though i left home 15 minutes early. So, now if there is a snow storm i just take the 407 from the start. I am proud to say that i didn't take it at all last week and i am going to try to do the same next week.

Going to the gym 4 times per week.
This one isn't going as well. I haven't fallen off the map but i am not making four times either. So far i am averaging 3 times per week. I am going to have to make a harder effort to stick to the 4 times per week goal.

Keep Blogging
I am proud to say that i have kept this one up. So far i have put up a new blog post every single week. It has been a day or two late a few times but there has been a new post every week.

Manage money better
This one has about a 50% success rate i think. While i don't think i have made any stupid money decisions i haven't kept track of my finances as i planned to. I have not but quicken yet. And the only things i bought were a few DVDs. I bought the trashtasic Basic Instinct 2 from blockbuster for $7.99 and i bought the Incredible Iron Man for 12.99. So i have only wasted about $21. And since i consider my self to be a DVD collector i don't really look at this as a waste. I haven't increased my RRSP monthly contribution yet but we are comming into tax season so when i go to the bank to buy my RRSP i will increase the monthly contribution then. My net worth did pass a landmark the other day that i am quite proud of. A lot of people my age have no where near what i have saved. It comes largely from living rent free with my parents but i have worked very hard also. So overall i am reasonably happy with my savings.

Next Weeks Topic ...
The Super bowl and The Return of my favorite TV Show.

2 comments:

--Todd said...

I would say that your lack of purchase of quicken has actually saved you money in the long run. Surely a well organised excel spreadsheet could do the same thing. I'm glad to hear that you have lots of money saved and wish only that I was as money savvy as you seem to be. Though I have money saved I did have to go into debt for school and am still paying that off and probably will be for a while.

chris said...

haha, you're doing better than me!