Monday, February 26, 2007

Sports

I want to advise in advance that this is going to be a short post. But next weeks post will be long so wait and see.

In high school i was quite the jock. I was captain of the basketball team and volleyball team. I won MVP awards and was the school athlete of the year on two occasions. It occurred to me a few weeks ago that i no longer do anything even remotely athletic anymore. I go the the gym and work out from time to time. But i wouldn't really call running on a treadmill and lifting weights athletic. If you define athletics as running, jumping and throwing then at best i do one of those. I wonder how i let this happen. I used to love playing sports. I guess when i got to college i decided it was better to work and have money than to play sports for no money in my spare time. Ten years ago i wouldn't have thought it possible that the time would come when i would go a week without touching a basketball. But as of writing this i haven't played a game of organized bball in a gym for over 7 yrs. There was a time when i could dunk very easily. I am not saying that i was Vince Carter, i wasn't doing 360 windmills or anything like that but i was able to do simple one handed dunks no problem. But now after all these years i would be surprised if i could touch the rim. It really is quite pathetic.

I don't want to be one of those guys who is always reflecting back on the good old days when they were the star of the high school sports team. Yet still i look back on those fondly. I don't think i will be joining any adult sports leagues or anything. I simply don't have the time right now. But in the future i would like to try to reclaim at least a little of my athleticism.

Next Week: Microsoft...

1 comment:

chris said...

My situation is quite the opposite, never played much sports in high school, but now I play sports all the time. Still, I can only dream of touching the rim :(