Sunday, March 4, 2007

Good bye Micorsoft ...

Well, its about time i addressed this. I no longer work on site at Microsoft. This is a difficult post to write because it has taken a long time to set in.

Lets start as the beginning.
As many of you know one of the main reasons i started writing this blog is because i had a major life changing event happen a little over 3 months ago. Well, maybe life changing is an exaggeration but i did get a new job. I work for a company called Wunderman. They are a advertising and consulting company. Microsoft is a client of theirs and i was initially hired to work on site at MS. Well after 3 months there MS has decided that there is not enough work available to warrant my presence. As such i no longer work at Microsoft. I found this out when i was called into a meeting a Wunderman head office downtown 2 weeks ago.

To say it came as a shock would be a huge understatement. At first i thought, well this really sucks ass, now i am out of a job. However, they explained to me quickly that i was not being fired i was merly being transferred to another account. Actually technically speaking i have been transferred to multiple accounts. I work out of the head office now. It is located at 60 bloor street west. I am going to be doing data work on multiple accounts. So far i have done stuff for Ford and Wyeth. But in the future i am going to be working on Jaguar/Land Rover, Royal Canadian Mint, and a bunch of other things i can't remember right now.

It has been a good two weeks, it was just a little difficult to get over the shock. Truth be told i don't really blame MS for deciding that my services were no longer needed. A lot of the time i really didn't have anything to do and i was just sitting around. I guess transition is the nature of consulting work.

There are aspects of working at MS that i do miss though. Mainly my Wunderman co-workers there. They are all good people. There were a group of about 4-8 who had lunch together almost every day. And since we work out of different locations now the times when we see each other will be few and far between. I will also miss the fully stocked fridge the designer coffee and the company subsidized cafeteria where I could get a fulling lunch for around $3.50.

At the same time there are things about working at MS that i don't miss at all. Chief among them is the commute. When i first took the job I didn't truly appreciate just how far away Mississauga is from Scarborough. It was costing me a small fortune to work there. January was my first full and complete month at MS (I had about a week and a half off in December). In that month i spent $330 on gas plus another $65 on the 407etr. If you do the math that is pretty dam close to 400 bones on transportation cost for one month. And this is before the gas prices went crazy, i shudder to think what i would have spent in gas these last 2 weeks if I was driving to MS. Now i just bought a ttc metro pass for $98.75 for march and i would be surprised if i spend a half tank of gas a week driving back and forth to the subway. From my house to the parking lot at MS it was approx. 50km. From my house to the parking lot at the subway it is approx 10km. So again if you do the math. In a week i now do about 100km going downtown as opposed to the about 500km that i was doing before. My car is already at 165k so so this savings is substantial for me. Working downtown should save me at least $200 a month on gas or more, plus less wear and tear on my car and less oil changes. It is kind of like getting a raise.

The work downtown is essentially the same as the work at MS. The only difference is i have less toys to play with. I use SQL server 2000 instead of 2005, office 2003 instead of 2007, and XP instead of Vista. Which kinda sucks because one of the reasons i took the job in the first place is to get MS credentials. But ultimately i guess it won't make that big of a difference. I don't think companies everywhere upgrade and change their systems just because MS decides to put out a new product. I think the skills i am learning should still be relevant to the market at what ever point i decide to leave Wunderman.

So i guess that is it. So far so good. While there are things i miss there are other things i don't miss. I will have to wait and see how this new transition works out for me.

1 comment:

chris said...

oh man, i guess that means we can't meet up for lunch again