Sunday, July 29, 2007

Friends moving away

So technically speaking this is the last weekend living in Toronto for one of my close friends. Sean and I met in university. We sat beside each other in ITEC 101. Seven years later he is one of the only people from university that I still keep in contact with. He started off in university in the same program as me. However, after a few semesters he decided that the computer field was not the right career path for him and decided it would be best to transfer out. Long story short he is a teacher now. And after applying at numerous schools in the area he found it to be near impossible to get a job here. Even with his Masters he still couldn't find a position. As such he is moving to Florida for a position he accepted there. I can't really blame him. He is 26 so he has a strong desire to get his career started. However, I am very sad to see him go. The only other two guys from college that I was close to (Lincoln, and Khalid) both moved to Atlanta years ago. I think it does say something really terrible about the job market here in Toronto. At least for people just starting up. When I was looking for my last job I found one quickly (4 weeks). And was actually still getting called for interviews after I had accepted my position at Wunderman. But when I just got out of college it took me a full year to find my first job.

Now all of the friends I have that have moved away have all said that they plan to come back at some point. But there is really no guarantee of that. I know for a fact that my two Atlanta friends have both bought homes there. Generally speaking you don't do that unless you plan on staying. Additionally, all it really takes would be for one of them to meet a girl they want to marry and that would end any chance of them coming back altogether.

I guess its kind of sad. Anyways, Good Luck Sean and all the Best...


Next Week ....Reading Books

3 comments:

--Todd said...

That's so sad. I hate when people drift apart. And to think things could have been different if the Toronto job market was a bit better... but I guess that's been on the decline for a while now.

Nadeene said...

awww that's sad...But Toronto is a tough city to get one's start.

Nadeene said...

This is how I ended up working in Advertising despite having a degree in Computer Science & Statistics...this is a tough city.