Sunday, July 22, 2007

You can't go home again. Or can you?

On Friday I took the day off. Wunderman provides us with three float days. Which are essentially vacation days. They have to be taken in between May and October. I had to go to the dentist so I figured I might as well take the whole day off. I also figured that since I had the day off that this would be a good time to swing by my old work place for a visit and a chance to catch up. I am not really sure if this is a common practice. Flagship was my first professional job. Do ex-employees normally pass by old workplaces to say hello? I have been to the bay at least a dozen times in the year and a half since I quit but I think that is kind of different. I mean that is a mall, and most of the times I stopped by the bay I was already in the mall for some other reason. However, going to flagship is different. As I mentioned in my very first blog post my old workplace is not close to where I live. I have no reason to be in that area other than to go to my old workplace. I was very much looking forward to stopping by though.

Thanks to the miracle of MSN, Facebook, and blogging I have managed to maintain some contact with my ex-coworkers. I know that they do view and occasionally comment on this blog. And generally speaking I talk to at least one of them, at least once per week on MSN. Whether it is about some piece of code that I wrote when I was there or maybe just to say hello. However, as I originally predicted I have not actually seen them in person since my departure 8 months ago.

So, after a trip to the dentist in the morning I jumped in my car and made my way to my old/first place of employment. I enjoyed the drive there. The office is very far north of where I live and the drive was very calming. Also, there has been a lot of development and the area has been built up quite a bit since my last day there.

I decided to play a little joke and a made a prank call into the tech support line first. I disguised my voice and Todd (he handles the majority of tech support since my departure) did not recognize that it was me. When the conversation was ending I said something that would immediately let him know that it was me. At this point I walked in and we all had a good laugh. It was fun. We sat around and we talked for a while. The office has changed a little, they have some new machines. I am glad to say that they (Dom and Todd) are the same and both seem to be doing well. The showed me the product and while some things are the same they have made a few new features that I must say I found to be very impressive.

We went for lunch in a near by diner (decent food but incredibly slow service). I talked about my job and the things I do, plus my plans for the future. Then we walked back to the office. As soon as we got in the phone started to ring like crazy so I knew it was time for me to leave or else these guys would not get any work done at all.

All in all it was a very good visit. They only thing that would have made it better was if it could have been a complete reunion. Unfortunately, my old bosses were out of town so I didn't get a chance to see or talk to them. Also, another of my ex-coworkers (Chris) had a meeting and thus was unable to make it. Chris if you are reading this you missed a good time but I am sure we can arrange to go again in the future. I told the guys I have some time off in the fall, Oct or Nov, I haven't decided yet. I am going to see if I can stop by a day during that time.

To Todd and Domenico, it was good seeing you guys and I look forward to our next encounter.

That's it...

Next Week... Friends moving away

2 comments:

--Todd said...

Thanks for stopping by it was fun. I'm sure some of the customers that were waiting for me to do some shit wouldn't agree but I'm pretty sure they don't read this blog so screw them. lol. Come back soon, and I can't wait to see that blog entry on BET. That topic has come up quite a few times this past weekend with the killings. In any case, sorry I can't put up a blog today, really have to get to work. I'll do it tomorrow if I get my work done today.

chris said...

Damn, next time for sure! Any day but friday. Stupid meetings :(