Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007 year in Review

So I promised to do a wrap up of 2007 and that's what I am going to do. I will start with the best things that happened to me. Then the worst things and then a short review of the resolutions I had made going into 2007. I will save the resolutions for 2008 for next weeks post.

Best Things


1) Getting Engaged

Well the obvious best thing that happened to me in 2007 is the progression of my relationship to the point that I am now engaged. In about 8.5 months I will be a married man, which really is an amazing thing. Things with my future wife progressed very quickly. With out getting overly dramatic I knew from our first date that we had chemistry. I am not saying that we have never had an argument but since they have never even lasted an entire day I say that's a good sign. We always laugh at them after. And truthfully I know could not stay mad at her even if I wanted to and she can't stay mad at me either so it is better to just resolve it and get it over with. It is that fact as much as anything that really made me want to propose.

2) Leaving the Country

I don't get out of Canada very often. To be truthful I don't get out of Toronto very often. However, I had two occasions to leave the city this year. The first and best occasion was the trip I made to St Lucia in August to meet my future in-laws. My parents are from Antigua but I haven't been to the Caribbean since I was 12 years old. Since I am now 27 that is a span of 15 years. It is a very different environment but it was good. If nothing else it was enjoyable to see a lot of people who look like me. Also, I thankfully got along very well with my future in laws so that made the trip enjoyable as well.

My second trip was the my second business trip of my life. I went to Dearborn Michigan for on-sight training at Ford. It was a lot of fun. While I don't think I would ever want a job where I would have to travel constantly, taking the occasional business trip can be enjoyable. Also, since the company didn't give me a budget I took full advantage.

Worst Things

I have been doing some thinking about this an aspect and I am having a difficult time deciding the worst thing that has happened to me. Basically because nothing bad has really happened to me. At the time I thought that being transferred out of Microsoft was absolutely terrible. I saw it as the first real failure of my career. However, in the months since I have come to think that it was the best possible thing that could have happened to me. I have learned a lot since then and I have been exposed to things I don't think I would have otherwise been exposed to. So I guess I have no worse thing.

Resolutions check in

1) Limit my time on the 407etr. The Price is going up and I want to make sure that i don't take the 407 more than twice a week. This should keep my bill under $50 per month. Which is reasonable in my opinion.

I have actually been on the 407 quite a bit lately. However, it was completely covered by the company. So I am not sure whether to categorize this as a success or a failure.

2) Go to the gym 4 times per week. Since there is a gym right by my work and since i don't want to get on the 401 at 5pm. This is a reasonable goal.

This is a complete and total failure. At most I would say I averaged 2 times per week and there were weeks when I didn't go at all.

3) Keep blogging on a regular basis. My goal is to have a new blog addition at least once per week. So far i think that is about as often as i update. If i can keep up that pace i will be happy.

This is a complete success. This is my 49th post of 2007. Expect for the week I was away on vacation and the week when my Internet connection was down I have had a new post up every single week. A few days late maybe but up none the less.

4) Manage money better. I don't think that i have been terribly irresponsible in the past but I do think there is room for improvement. I plan to buy quicken and keep track of all my spending. I would also like to increase the amount of money i put into rrsps.

I did increase my contributions to RRSP's but I didn't have any money tracking software. I am not sure if I am dedicated enough for this.

So that's it.

Happy new year every one.

Next Week ... Goals and resolutions for 2007

2 comments:

Nads said...

Good post

Scot said...

You have learned to be good because otherwise she will make you sit on the stairs...LOL