Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dirty Jobs

Years ago when I was deciding on my career I had specific criteria. I wanted to make a good salary obviously but I also wanted to work in a safe clean environment. That means absolutely no manual labor. No construction, plumbing, auto repair, etc ... Now I am well aware that some of these jobs can pay very well. In fact they probably all pay more than what I am currently making. However, to me the work is tough. The heaviest thing I will lift in any given day is a pen and I very rarely have to do that. There are consequence to this of course. Chief among them is that I get very little physical activity in a day. As a consequence of this I had put on over 20 pounds since college that I am trying to take off now. In addition I am rarely outdoors. I leave to get to work in the morning when it is dark and by the time I get home it is dark again. Now in the winter time it is not that bad. But in the summer I think it might be nice to be outside and get some fresh air.

So, where am I going with this? Over the last year or so I have been watching a show on discovery channel called Dirty Jobs. It basically has the host traveling the country working a day in some of the dirtiest jobs you can imagine. The stuff he does can really turn your stomach at times. But if someone doesn't do these jobs then society would simply shut down. In one episode he was emptying septic tanks. He had to climb in and scrap it off the walls. He was literally waist deep in shit. GROSS!!! I can not imagine doing something like this every day for 30 or 40 years. I don't know what these people make but I hope it is a good salary. I am not saying they should be millionaires or something but they definitely deserve good incomes.

I will leave you with a clip of one of the dirtiest jobs I have ever seen. 1:46-1:54 is disgusting.



Next Week ... DVD check in

1 comment:

JAW said...

I consider dealing with business analysts to be a dirty job. So you do a dirty job.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dirty defition 3a, 5a or 5b. Although 8 would be fun too :P