Wednesday, June 4, 2008

LOST season 4

I was going to write this at a later point but I was actually asked about my opinion on this twice today (Dom and Chris) so I thought I would make a post.

This season was a very critical season for LOST. This is the fourth year of the show, and while I personally felt that season 3 was at least twice as good as season 2 (but not as good as season 1) this season is important. The show is not the ratings monster it was in the first season and as a consequence of this it was moved around the dial quite a bit. I never really liked the 10pm time slot it ended up with. Additionally, I personally have cut the show a lot of slack about not resolving issues over the years but by the 4th season and close to 100 episodes (85 so far) they needed to provide some answers. Finally, it has been announced that show is ending 2 years from now so they are running out of time to wrap up loose threads.

Now with all that being said on to my review.

Overall, I think the season was good. It's still not as good as the first season but it is better than at least 85% of the rest of the shows on television. The main reason I can not say that I think it is as good is because they have fundamentally changed the nature of the show this season. One of the underling things about this show was mystery. The flashbacks used by the show only serve to heighten the drama of what is going on in a given episode. However, this season they have added flash forwards. And because of this the biggest mystery of the show is solved. We know with out question that at least some of the survivors of flight 815 do in fact get off the island. This eliminates all suspense when certain characters are in life or death situations because we know they can't die because we have seen the future and we know that they are alive and off the island.

As such the mystery is more about how they got off and what happened to the ones that didn't. This is a risk, but I think they did a good job of pulling it off. They also added a lot of new characters this season. I unfortunately did not like any of them.

The best thing is that they also answered a lot of questions that have been raised throughout the season. If you want a review of what was answered check this website

Season Finale

Overall, I was very impressed. They wrapped up the major story lines of the season and asked a few questions that will have to be answered next season. The "moving" of the island is a bit more sci-fi than I want out of this show. I didn't really think it was needed. But overall i was happy with the revelations they provided and I am looking forward to the questions that will have to be answered next season. I am also very happy that they killed the Micheal character. He added nothing to this season and hopefully his death will mean no more Micheal or Walt stories. The actor who plays Walt looks nothing like he did when the show started. This is the problem with child actors. When the show started he was a 12 year old playing a 10 year old. Now he is 16 but only 100 days have passed in the time line of the series. It makes zero sense for him to have anything to do with the show at this point.


That's it

I have been busy this week which is why this is such a late blog post. I will have alot of things to cover next week.

4 comments:

chris said...

I agree with your assessment. For me this was the weakest of the four seasons, good but not great. Not nearly as suspenseful as previous seasons, the story lost some focus mid season, the new characters were not interesting, and some stuff was a little too sci-fi for me. But the season did end strong and the season cliffhanger was definitely an interesting one.

JAW said...

The flash forwards are actually dreams and thus mean nothing :P They all die when the aliens abduct them.

Renee said...

Since the show has been all over the dial I really did not watch alot of it this season. I have it all downloaded now and on a rainy day I will just do a lost marathon and watch it all. Thanks for not putting too many spoilers in your post. Well I am off to stand in front of my luxurious double sink..LOL

Nads said...

Lost moves too slow for my tastes - I like things that start and end in an hour so I can have closure. And will they ever get off the island?!!!!!!