Monday, June 16, 2008

New Apartment

So we finally settled on a new apartment. Actually we signed the lease about 2 weeks ago. My fiancee will be moving in during the last week of June and I will join her in August after the wedding. I am genuinely excited about the move. Originally my plan was to move out last summer. But as things progressed with my girlfriend (now finacee) I knew that chances were we would end up getting married. It did not make financial sense to me to move out for one year and then have to move again a year later after our wedding. Actually, at that point I was thinking of buying a small town home or condo. In the time since the housing market in the GTA has gone completely insane. It's at the point now where a piece of shit house can cost you 375k easily. Really a nice place will be about 415k-430k if you are lucky. There are houses down the street from me that are going for 500k-600k. I just don't know how anyone can justify paying that kind of money for a regular house.

Anyways I digress. I am just really looking forward to being out on my own. I get along very well with my parents. We haven't had an argument about anything of consequence in many years. However, that is not the point. I am simply ready to go. I have lived in this house since i was about 5 months old. I am 28 now. I never went away to college or took a job out of town. If you would have asked me 10 years ago if i would still be living at home at my age I would have said no way. I remember in college saying that as soon as I was finished and had a stable job and enough money for first and last months rent I would be out the door. It didn't work out that way. When you are young I think it is difficult to appreciate just how much life really costs. I have been doing grocery shopping with my finacee for most of the last 1.5 years and it sometimes shocks me just how much money we spend on food. Unless you survive on a diet of Kraft dinner and hot dogs, eating can be very expensive.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a price to be paid for living with your parents either. There is a price, it just isn't one that can really be measured in dollars and cents. I have lived in my house my whole life but i am very aware of the fact that it is not "my" house. My name isn't on the bills and "I" don't own it. Additionally the bedroom that used to seem very large doesn't feel so big anymore. I feel like I could just pick up the whole thing and crush it in my hands.

Additionally when you are living with someone you have to be considerate of there feelings. What i mean is that if for example i wanted to come home and throw my dirty socks on the floor of the living room that would not go over very well. I am not saying that I want to do this but it would be nice to have the option.

All that being said I don't regret the decision to stay at home as long as I have. If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't make any drastic changes. It will just nice to finally be out on my own.


Next week ... Home improvement.

PS. I saw Hulk this weekend. It was pretty good. Not as good as Iron man but much better than the first Hulk movie. It had a few violent scenes but not really any out and out killing. Truthfully all of the violence is computer generated so in that sense I think it tames it quite a bit.

3 comments:

Nads said...

fyi: you do not have the option to "throw my dirty socks on the floor of the living room". OK? :)

--Todd said...

lol, I was about to say that living with the fiancee/wife still incures responsibility of looking out for the other persons feelings so chores still need to be done whether you think they do or not and you have to pick up your crap.

Also, I agree with you on hulk. Better than the first but definitely a luke warm superhero movie, cooled a bit by being in the shadow of such a spectacular movie like Iron Man.

Renee said...

You want to find out how expensive groceries can be be, wait until you have to feed to kids. Spencer and Wyatt need their own cow, to cover the money we spend on milk.