Sunday, December 7, 2008

laundry

So i am doing the laundry right now. One aspect of apartment living that I truly dislike is the laundry process. I don't have a problem with the concept of doing laundry i just hate the shared machine process that comes with living in an apartment. We live in a low rise building and as such there are only 4 washers and 4 dryers in the building. Which means you pretty much have to try to avoid peak times. Any time during the day on the weekends the machines will be in use. What i have done for the last few weeks is try to get up early on Sunday morning and have my stuff down to the machines by 8 am. If you are going to be using more than 1 or 2 machines this is the just about the only time when you can be assured that the washer and dryer will both be free.

I want to outline two pet peeves i have.


1) The people who forget the clothes in the machine.


There have been a few occasions when i have come downstairs to the laundry room to find piles of laundry sitting on top of the machine. What has happened in this case is that day day before somebody had forgot to take their clothes out of the machine. Well, it's a small building and people don't have time to wait around for ever so they take the laundry out of the machine put in their own laundry and pile the other persons clothes on top of the machine. I really can't stand this. How can someone completely forget that they are doing laundry. Even if they are washed I really don't want to touch anybody else's clothing.

2) The people who take my clothes out of the machine

This may seem to contradict number 1. Let me be clear in saying that i have never forgotten my clothing in the machine for hours at a time. When ever i do laundry i take note of the time remaining on the washer or dryer and set the timer on the microwave in my apartment accordingly. I have never been more than two or three minuets late in picking up my laundry. Yet there have been more than a few occasions when i have come down stairs to find somebody else unloading my clothes out of the laundry and putting theirs in. To me there is a common decency that says you should give a five minute rule before you start touching somebody else's underwear.

It could be worse...

My brother lives in a high rise building. He told me that if you don't stay with your laundry while it is being washed then you run the risk of somebody stealing it. He told me about a woman he new in the building who bought a bed spread and took it to the laundry room to wash it and had it stolen. She didn't even get to use the thing once!

One thing i will not miss about apartment life is laundry day.

Next week ... Reading ... i mean it this time.

3 comments:

Nadeene said...

I need to have a word with these people who touch our laundry cause we never leave it there for more than 1-2 minutes after the machine stops.

JAW said...

Maybe it is just me: but have you tried setting your timer back three minutes? You should be there with one minute to spare.

Renee said...

The solution to this is an apartment washer and dryer. I eventually bought one when I rented for just those reasons. I don't like people touching my clothes. As for Dres friend I got it beat. My friend Lerone had his underwear stolen