Sunday, January 4, 2009

Goals and resolutions for 2009

Well, it's 2009 and that means it's time for reflection. To do that lets look back at last years resolutions

"At the beginning of 2008 I weighed 210 lbs. My goal is to be between 180-185 by the beginning of 2009."

On January 1 2009 my weight was exactly 185 pounds. So on the surface of it would appear that this is a success. However, i am only putting it as a mild success. I am without question in the best shape i have been in in at least 7 years. I haven't weighed this little since high school. That being said there is still room for improvement. I am much toner but i could be better. Also, i have reached a bit of a plateau in improvements in the last four months. In that time my weight has fluctuated between 183 - 187. I am going to be changing my workout routine my hope is to really hit it hard for the next 4 months and see what results i can get.


"My next goal is about my career. Basically I want progress. I am not really sure how to define and describe this. It's not just money, although I would be lying if I said that is not part of it. I want to be in charge of larger projects as opposed to just being a worker on them."


Well, I got a new job 8 months ago so this seems to be a success. I am still part of a team but i am responsible for leading a variety of projects. As such i am saying this a success.

"The biggest change for me in the upcoming year is going to be my marriage. However, this is not a resolution and I am not sure if I view the success of my wedding or marriage as a goal."

I am 4 months in and i have no complaints.

2009 Goals

1) weight Loss

I had hoped this would be the year where I would have no weight resolutions. As mentioned above I am close but I am not quite there yet. In terms of weight I think I would like to lose 5-10lbs. Also, just generally tone up overall.

2) Education

I graduated from York University in Spring 03. I graduated from Seneca College in Spring 04. In summer 06 i took a course in MS SQL Server but it was not a certificate program. It's 2009 now so the education portion of my resume has been essentially stagnant for almost 5 years. I hope to change that this year. There are two certifications i am considering for this year. The first is the Project Management Professional (PMP). My actual job title is already project manager. So obviously I don't need this certification to do my job. However, I do think this is a certification that will be nice to have. It is clearly not a deal breaker, by that i mean it is not something that will ultimately determine whether or not a get a job or a promotion. However, it does not require a huge commitment from me or a large financial commitment. So, I am going to pursue it.

The next certification that i am interested in is the Canadian Securities Course. I work for a financial institution. Again since I already have the job this is obviously not a mandatory certification. I work in marketing and of the 11 people in my department only 1 other person has it and she only got it 3 weeks ago. That being said I think i like working for a bank. While i don't ever want to be a trader having the CSC on my resume would show that i have general understanding of finance that might set me apart from others applying for the type of jobs I would be interested in.

3) Blogging

Now i will deal with the elephant in the room. My blogging has taken a dramatic drop in the last few months. I have no good excuse for it so I won't make a bad one. in 2008 I wrote 38 blog posts as opposed to the 49 I wrote in 2007. I will just say that in 2009 I intend to get closer to that first number again.

That's it for this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome, I don't think many people have as much success as you. People do read your blogs so keep it up if you can.
-Todd

GreenLantern'sWife said...

Awwww.....what a cute post. :)

Congratulations on achieving your weight goal, honey. Congratulations on being a project lead at work. I'll help you focus and get your PMP and/or CSC this year.I have no complaints about marriage either. Married life is under-rated. It's great! I highly recommend it for increasing happiness. Now if only I could handle work stress better....