Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mid Season TV

As i have mentioned many times before I am a big TV fan. This week is when a lot of my favorite shows are finally coming back. I start with the biggest one first.

LOST

After an incredibly long lay-off, what I think is the best drama on television is finally back. This is my review of last season. Simply put I thought last season was the best season since the first. I have very high expectations for the upcoming season. The producers have announced that the show is ending next year so really there are only about 36 episodes left in this show. It means that a lot of loose ends are going to have to be tied up this season. I am so glad that I stuck it out with this show. I know a lot of people jumped off the wagon at the end of season two and beginning of season 3. So much has happened since then and the writers and producers have really made an attempt to address these concerns.

HEROES

This show is coming off of two back to back incredibly stupid seasons. I am very close to giving up on it. The decision making of the characters is beyond stupid and it is just very difficult to understand the motivations of any of the characters. The show comes back in early February but I am not exactly dying with anticipation for the return of this show. I will watch it because at this point i am too invested to pull the plug but my guess is that if there are not drastic improvements this show will not be around next year.

24

This show started last week. And so far it is pretty good. They have shown 4 episodes plus the TV movie that aired in the fall. There have been some pretty drastic changes so far. This has always been a show that had no problem with the concept of killing supporting characters but they may have gone to far this time. Basically there are only 4 characters back this season from previous seasons. The characters are also working outside of the government and the concept of 4 people against the government and the terrorists may be a little too much to swallow for me.

Battlestar Galactica

I am a huge fan of this show. I have seen every episode multiple times. My only real beef with this show is that the network likes to put to much time in between seasons. They have split the last 2 seasons into 2 ten episode mini seasons. I know they do this because it is the most popular show on the sci-fi network but it really pisses off the fans to have to wait a year between mid season breaks. That being said the first of the last ten aired 2 days ago and it was really good. There were a few really good twists and a supporting character died. It's always good when a show is willing to part with a supporting character because it lets the viewer aware of the seriousness of the situation the characters are in. A show can kill too many characters (see 24 above) but i think BSG has handled death very well.

Smallville

Another of my favorites. As everyone knows I am a huge comic fan. This season the show has new writers and they have made a real effort to use as much of the DC comics library as possible. Rumor has it that this is the last season and if so i must say they are really going out on a high note.

Prison Break

This show doesn't come back until spring. It has also been announced that the episodes airing in spring will be the last. I like the show but as i mentioned in an earlier post this show really should have ended 2 seasons ago.

That's it for this week.

Next week ... Barack Obama

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way as you do about Heroes. I wish that it made more sense but I've watched so much now I want to contnue to see where it's going but I feel like even the writers have no idea where they are going. Oh well, you can't win them all. I just recently watched all the BSG and just finished the last episode of 4.0 last night. I wish they would release the dvd's for previous seasons in time to watch the upcoming season but that might be asking too much. Since my internet is not good enough to download episodes I will have to either read a synopsis of the first episode of 4.5 or just wait it out and watch the dvd's.

Renee said...

I think if any show should be canceled it is 24. How many times can Jack Bauer save the world. It exists to promote violence and hyper masculinity. The 2 hour move was also incredibly racist and paternalistic.

As for Prison Break, all I can say is it is about time. It has gotten absolutely ridiculous and has survived this long simply out of greed.

I watched lost for the first time in a long time tonight. I was shocked to see how much I had missed. It looks to be much more interesting. I will give it a few episodes to see if it can maintain its pace. I actually gave up American Idol for this so it had better be good.

JAW said...

Not really related but I thought you would like the poster at the end.

http://www.filmcynic.com/movies/worst-posters/