Monday, February 9, 2009

Visiting Relatives

So I have been married for just under six months now. I am still working on finding the right balance of new life vs old life. What I mean by that it deciding how much or how often to visit my parents. As of now i see my parents about twice a month. I go over around every other weekend unless something else comes up. I call at least once a week to check in and make sure they are doing okay. I wonder if that is enough or too much. I am not really sure. On the one hand if I had left the city or moved out of the country they would only see me a few times per year. However, I didn't do any of those things. I only actually live about 15-20 minutes from their house so it's not really a fair comparison. I went to see them yesterday, it was a good visit but my father was a little under the weather. It's funny because when I lived there I would have known about this immediately but now that i don't i only find out about it when i happen to stop by. Now lets be clear it not like he was on his death bed or anything, he just has a cold and will take a couple days off and feel better again but it's still a little weird to find out days after it happens.

Another thing that is strange it ringing the door bell. I lived there for 28 years and I still have the key to the house on my key chain. However, I don't live there any more and it does feel strange to just walk in. They say i should just use the key and I do but i always ring the bell a few times before I turn the lock. I know it's strange but it seems like the right thing to do.

So I am asking ... what is the right amount of time to visit?

That's it for this week.

Next week ... Career planing (I have been putting this post off because my meeting with my manager keeps getting rescheduled)

No comments: