Monday, March 2, 2009

The Color Purple

On Saturday night my wife and I went to go see the color purple the musical. I haven't been to a play since I was in elementary school. And i don't think I have ever been to a musical before. I thought it was a really good performance. I have never read the book or seen the movie so this play was my first time viewing the material. I found it to be a little depressing at times. Quite frankly any book, movie, or play set in that time frame (early 1900s) is going to be pretty depressing. However, the singing was really amazing. I was assured that they were not lip syncing but it really just sounded to good to believe. I think just about every person in the play should get a record deal.

Overall it was a nice night out. The tickets were not too expensive ($40 each) so we were able to have a good time without breaking the bank. We like to try to get out and do something fun every so often. I am clearly at a point in my life where saving needs to be a priority but I think it is important to remember that life is meant to be lived and that it is necessary to get out of the house and do something fun just for yourself sometimes.

That's it for this week.

Next Week... Developers at work.

2 comments:

--Todd said...

I think that it isn't that the singers were spectacular but that excellent singing is a common trait and is far too highly paid in music circles compared to the supply. I've been to quite a few musicals and I have to say that the singing is always really good and everyone singing is always as good if not better than most professional singers, especially those like Britney Spears.

Renee said...

I am dying to see the play. The color purple is my favorite book. I love Alice Walker. I am curious to know your thoughts on the treatment of the male characters in the play. Alice received a terrible backlash after the book was first published.