Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Star Trek and Long Weekend

So last week I went to see the new star trek movie. Even though i am not a huge fan of the original series I have been a fan of the franchise for most of my life. I thought the last movie was decent even if most of the critics hated it. I thought the movie was very good. From beginning to end it moved at a very rapid speed. I also think they did a good job in making the movie accessible to non-star trek fans. I don't think my wife has watched and episode of any star trek series in her life but she did seem to enjoy this movie almost as much as I did.

--------------
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
Spoiler Waring
--------------

There is one thing that bothered me. That is the destruction of Vulcan. If the federation is a representation of the UN then earth would be the US and Vulcan would be Britain. You can't just blow up the second most important world in the star trek universe. I was very surprised and somewhat disappointed that they decided to do that. To the non fan I am sure it makes no difference but to a long time fan it was shocking.


Long Weekend,



So we did two things this weekend. On Saturday we went to buffalo for the day to do some shopping. My wife bought a few things and I bought a sweater. Thankfully the lines at the border were not too bad.

On Monday we went for a drive up in Ajax. We just wanted to get another look at our new house and figure out where other things are. We drove to the gym which was much better looking that I had thought it would be. It's about a 10-15 minute drive which i guess is not too bad. I have been spoiled a bit by living where I currently live such that everything is within 5 minutes. We also drove to the grocery stores and the GO station. They were also fairly close. While we were there we went into a few show homes that were being built. It seems that our model of house is not being built anymore. What I mean by that is slightly under 2000 square feet with 2 car garage. It appears that now if you want a 2 car garage you have to be willing to go up to at least 2300 square feet or more plus about 40k more that we paid for our house. I think our house is a better starter house. I have been parking outside for as long as I have owned a car and I am sick of it. I am tired of having to clean snow off my car and I don't ever want to have to do it in the morning ever again. The main reason we went into the show homes was to get some decorating ideas. We didn't really see anything that we liked though so we will have to keep looking.

That's it for this week.

Next week ... Season Finales.

2 comments:

--Todd said...

Yes, the destruction of Vulcan was shocking but I think that's what they intended. However, there are still enough Vulcans that remain to rebuild their society and because the elders were saved the history and culture has been saved. So do not fret there will be a new Vulcan and the Vulcans will still be around. On another note, did you see the tribble in the cage behind Scotty on his desk on Delta Vega?

JAW said...

I didn't see the tribble. I greatly enjoyed the movie. But I am still tired of people blowing up planets to make things Epic. It worked for Star Wars, but stop blowing up planets so that everyone can be a "last survivor."

Here is a thought: try good writing to make the show and scenes Epic. That worked EVERYWHERE else in the movie and made it fun. I know saving planets at the last minute is a bit cliche but at this point losing planets has become cliche too. See look this movie was Epic: we blew up a planet / destroyed a society. And here is our last survivor we can use for all our dramatic scenes.

sheesh.