Monday, January 11, 2010

New Years

Well it's 2010 and it's been about a month and a half since my last post. This year has been a real mixed bag for me but overall fairly successful. I will start with the obvious, I bought my first home in 2009. It pretty much dominated my year to the point where I didn't feel like i had the energy to do some other things i wanted to do. Buying a home is a hell of a lot of work. We first started looking in early march and since then my home has dominated my thoughts almost all of the time. Whether it was searching for a home or renovating the home once we actually took possession it seemed like there was/is always something to do. I would like to think that at this point.

One of my goals last year was educational. I wanted to complete the CSC and the PMI. I completed neither. I have at least started work on the CSC. I passed the volume 1 exam about 3 weeks ago. My hope is to take the volume 2 exam in march. I have changed my mind some what on the PMI certification. As of now I am leaning towards pursuing an MBA. This is a huge undertaking if I decide to go that route. As of now my main choice for the MBA would be Ryerson. The main reason for that is location and cost. I know that U of T or York are the more respected institutions but neither would really work that well for me. York is about an hour away from my home so doing it there on a part time basis would be very difficult. U of T has a downtown location but the total cost would be in the 70k range. Converserly I can walk to Ryerson from my office and the total tutition is about 15k. That is a huge difference. I could afford to do it without taking out a loan and still finish in 2-3 years. I am also going to look into having my company pay for it. Although i know i guy who is doing that and I think that they will only pay for an MBA from Dalhousie University and on a part time basis it might take 5+ years which is more than i would be interested in.

Another goal for last year was to keep blogging. I only did 29 posts in 2009 which is a huge drop for me. This year i have to get that number back up in the 40s at least. I think with the home renovations cooling off i will have time to do this.

That's it for this week.

Next week... vacation in St Lucia.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Good luck on your studies. I am sure that whatever you set your mind to you can complete.